Montana Board of Pharmacy


  • Name changes must be requested in writing with documentation of the name change included (marriage license, divorce decree etc.).  If you would like a copy of your license in your new name you must include $5 for a duplicate license.
  • Please use the address change form located under the forms tab on this website (or notify the board via fax or US mail). All licensees are required to notify the Board of an address change within 30 days.
  • Does an application for a technician-in-training need to include the three personal character references?

    The three personal character references are required to be submitted before a technician-in-training becomes certified as a technician.

  • When is a Certified Pharmacy, Wholesale Drug Distributor or a Mail Order Pharmacy required to apply for a new license?

    A Certified Pharmacy, Wholesale Drug Distributor or a Mail Order Pharmacy is required to submit a new application if there is a change in location or a change in ownership of more than 50%.  The application needs to be submitted 30 days prior to the change.

  • What if there is less than 50% ownership change for a Certified Pharmacy, Wholesale Drug Distributor or a Mail Order Pharmacy?

    The Board must be notified in writing when 5% to 50% ownership is changed.

  • The Intern license shall expire not later than 12 months after the date of graduation or at the time of professional licensure, whichever comes first.
  • A pharmacist has to be actively engaged in the practice of pharmacy for one year, unless approved by the Board. A form is provided on the website. Proof of completion of a training course is required.
  • A registered pharmacist in good standing may supervise no more than three technicians at any time.
  • No, a pharmacist-in-charge of a Mail Order Pharmacy needs to be licensed in good standing in the state in which the Mail Order Pharmacy is located.
  • Does a Wholesale Drug Distributor need to be licensed in the state of Montana if utilizing a third party to physically distribute product?

    A  Wholesale Drug Distributor needs to be licensed if business is conducted with the state of Montana.

  • The Board requires 1.5 CEU (15 clock hours) with a minimum of 5 hours to be obtained in an approved group setting or 2.0 CEU (20 clock hours) if you do not take at least 5 hours in an approved group program. The CEU is required within the 12 months prior to June 30 in order to renew your license. An additional 15 hours may be accumulated and applied to the following licensing year. Once approved, a course may not be used more than once to satisfy this requirement. Pharmacists renewing as a new graduate are exempt from this requirement. Pharmacists residing in another state are required to meet Montana's requirements for continuing education.
  • A pharmacy technician is required to maintain a current Pharmacy Technician certification for their Montana licensure.  The continuing education is required by the certifying agency.


    This site is a primary source for verification of license credentials.

    The Montana Department of Labor and Industry, Business Standards Division, presents Licensee Lookup information as a service to the public. The Division relies upon information provided by licensees to be true and correct, as required by statute. It is an act of unprofessional conduct for a licensee knowingly to provide erroneous information to the Division.

    The Department of Labor and Industry makes no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content of this website. Assessing the accuracy and reliability of information obtained from this website is solely the responsibility of the user. If you have questions regarding information found within this Licensee Lookup website, please contact the specific licensing board directly.

    Please note that some disciplinary actions against licensees may not appear immediately on the website. Appeals, effective dates of orders and other administrative processes may delay posting on the website. Please contact the specific licensing board directly if you require discipline information that occurred prior to July 1, 1996.

  • Click here for PDF of Complaint Process FAQs.
Back To Top