Montana Board of Public Accountants

Becoming a CPA by Transfer of Grades

Transfer of Grades

The Transfer of Grades Application is for individuals applying for licensure in Montana that have passed the CPA exam in another jurisdiction and are not licensed in another jurisdiction. Individuals applying for a license through Transfer of Grades must meet Montana’s education requirements.

  • To obtain a license, you must have passed all four sections of the exam and meet the education and experience requirements. There is no residency requirement and a social security number is not necessary to obtain a permit to practice.

NOTE: Applicants who did not sit for the exam as a Montana candidate must submit official transcripts for all education to NASBA's CPA Examination Services (CPAES) for evaluation in reference to Montana's education requirements. For more information: NASBA Academic Credentialing Evaluation Service Website. Any foreign-obtained education must be evaluated by NASBA International Evaluation Services (NIES) in reference to Montana’s education requirements. 

Individuals must hold an active license in order to practice public accounting in Montana.  See 37-50-101(10), MCA, for the definition of the practice of public accounting.

The Board reviews applications at regularly scheduled meetings. In order to be placed on the agenda for a meeting, an application must be complete 15 business days prior to the meeting. Please refer to Board Information/Board Meetings for specific meeting dates.

Applications not completed within 12 months of the date the application is received are considered invalid and void. A new application and fee will be required in order to reapply.

Back To Top