Montana Board of Private Security


  • All of the license applications required by this board are available right on this website under the Forms and/or License tab. The applications have been recently updated to reflect changes in statute and rule over the past few years. The detailed explanation of the application process is on the instruction page for each different license. All of our applicants excepting companies are required to undergo a fingerprint and background check. This process is handled separately through the Montana Department of Justice, not the Board of Private Security. A routine application is processed within 30 days of receipt pending it is complete, fingerprints are not rejected and no request for additional information to clarify the application information is needed.
  • All licenses renew annually on March 1st. A notice (not a renewal form) is sent to address of record approximately 2 months prior to your active license expiring. It contains your license number, PIN and type of license. The notice is not forwarded; therefore it is important that you notify the Board in writing should your address change. The most convenient way to renew is on-line (for your convenience this web page has a link to the renewal page under the “services” tab). If you do not have access to a computer, call or e-mail the Board office and we will mail or fax a copy of your renewal to you. All mailed checks or money orders must be accompanied by the completed renewal form.
  • No. The Department is not set up to handle money transactions by phone.
  • There are only two license categories that allow armed status, Private Investigator and Private Security Guard.
  • I want to add armed status to my existing PI or Security Guard license. What’s the process?
    Complete the Firearm Endorsement application and submit with the required documentation and fee and a new card will be mailed to you indicating “armed” status.
  • I need to re-qualify my firearm endorsement. Can I go to a shooting range and have my score...

    I need to re-qualify my firearm endorsement. Can I go to a shooting range and have my score witnessed?

    All initial and re-qualifications need to be under the supervision of a currently licensed, Board approved, Certified Firearms Instructor, or a Montana Post Certified Instructor. Upon satisfactory completion, the paperwork is submitted to the Board office to update your file. If you renew without the firearm requalification certificate, your new card will list you as unarmed.

  • Can I wear a badge while performing my duties as a security guard or private investigator?
    No, statute and rule specifically prohibit the wearing of a badge for any of our licensees. Uniforms are also regulated by the Board.
  • I’m licensed as a Security Alarm Installer in another state; I’ve been offered a position with a Security Company in Montana. Do I have to apply for licensure in Montana?

    The Board of Private Security does not recognize reciprocity with other states so you need to apply as a new applicant in the state of Montana. You cannot provide services in the state as defined by statute and rule under this Board without a current Montana license.

  • This site is a primary source for verification of license credentials.

    The Montana Department of Labor and Industry, Business Standards Division, presents Licensee Lookup information as a service to the public. The Division relies upon information provided by licensees to be true and correct, as required by statute. It is an act of unprofessional conduct for a licensee knowingly to provide erroneous information to the Division.

    The Department of Labor and Industry makes no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content of this website. Assessing the accuracy and reliability of information obtained from this website is solely the responsibility of the user. If you have questions regarding information found within this Licensee Lookup website, please contact the specific licensing board directly.

    Please note that some disciplinary actions against licensees may not appear immediately on the website. Appeals, effective dates of orders and other administrative processes may delay posting on the website. Please contact the specific licensing board directly if you require discipline information that occurred prior to July 1, 1996.

  • Click here to view FAQ regarding the Department of Labor and Industry administrative suspension process adopted by the board.
  • For a complete list of Frequesntly Asked Questions regarding the complaint process please view

    Complaint Process FAQs

Back To Top