Montana Board of Outfitters


The following outlines general licensing information. For specific information on filing an application, you will need to obtain thelicense application which includes a detailed listing of the requirements.

Licensing Requirements & Application Submission 

  • $1800.00 All Fees are Non-Refundable
  • Fishing outfitter applicants must have a minimum of three years and 120 days of verified experience as a licensed guide, guiding clients and using methods for pursuing fish, or equivalent experience as determined by the board. All other applicants must have 100 days of verified experience as a licensed guide, guiding clients in pursuing the types of game and using methods for which licensure is sought by the applicant, or equivalent experience as determined by the board.
  • Outfitter License Exam Dates are scheduled per applicant and proctored at a Montana Job Service Center of the applicant's choice. Applications must be submitted to the board and experience requirements must be met before exams will be scheduled.

    The Hunting, Fishing, and Boating regulations links below will direct candidates to the Department of Fish Wildlife and Parks (FWP) pages where the most current FWP Regulations are maintained and pdf copies can be downloaded for review. Exam candidates can use the information for study materials when preparing and testing for the Hunting and/or Fishing Endorsement.

    Exam Study Material

    General License Study Material

    Hunting Regulations

    Fishing Regulations

    Boating Regulations

    Packing Endorsement Study Material

    ***Manuals are most compatible with Adobe Acrobat Pro DC and navigation of chapters and content via bookmarks is  recommended.***

    For information on Outfitter exam and licensing contact:
    Telephone:(406) 841-2300

  • The Renewal period begins on November 4 and ends on December 31. To renew your existing license online click here
  • $150.00
  • Licensees are required to have current first aid certification at all times.
  • Extensive public and private land use reporting is required as is reporting of client activity at renewal. Requires a detailed Operations Plan and minimum liability insurance coverages on file with the board for license issuance and at all times actively licensed.
  • Outfitters may change license status by submitting the appropriate form click here. Outfitters may refer to ARM 24.171.512 INACTIVE LICENSE for more information.
Back To Top