Montana Board of Athletic Trainers


  • Name changes must be requested in writing with documentation of your legal name change included (copy of marriage license, divorce decree, etc.).
  • Please use the Change Address link located to your right or send a signed written notice of address change via mail. All licensees are required to notify the Board of an address change within 10 days.

  • You can go directly to the License Lookup System. This site is a primary source for verification of licensed individual’s credentials. The Montana Department of Labor & Industry, business Standards Division, presents Licensee Lookup information as a service to the public. The Division relies on information provided by licensees to be true and correct, as required by statute. It is an act of unprofessional conduct for a licensee knowingly to provide erroneous information to the Division. The Department of Labor & Industry makes no warranty or guarantee concerning the accuracy or reliability of the content of this website. Assessing the accuracy and reliability of information obtained from this website is solely the responsibility of the user. If you have questions regarding information found within this Licensee Lookup website, please contact the specific licensing board directly. Please note that some disciplinary actions against licensees may not appear immediately on the website. Appeals, effective dates of orders and other administrative processes may delay posting on the website. Please contact the specific licensing board directly if you require discipline information that occurred prior to July 1, 1996.

  • Do I need to be licensed in Montana if I am temporarily in the state for a tournament or game?

    No, you do not need to be licensed in Montana as an Athletic Trainer if you are only here for a very short period of time, such as traveling with a team for a tournament or a game.  However, if you are coming to Montana for an extended period, such as working with a team for several weeks or months (summer baseball season would be an example), you do need to be licensed and must apply in advance of your employment here.

  • Licensure requirements can be found under the License Information tab of this website.  Applications can also be found under this tab as well.

  • If I’m a member of the National Athletic Trainers Association or Montana Athletic Trainers...

    If I’m a member of the National Athletic Trainers Association or Montana Athletic Trainers Association, do I still need a license?

    Yes.  Professional licensure and membership in an association are two different things.  Licensure is required by law, association membership is voluntary.  In order to be licensed in Montana as an Athletic Trainer, you need to maintain your Board of Certification for Athletic Trainers certification, and it must be current when you apply and when you renew your license.

  • The Montana Board of Athletic Trainers has determined that the continuing education requirements under the Board of Certification are sufficient and they do not require additional continuing education.  You must have a current BOC card in order to apply or renew your Athletic Training license.

  • Board Members are appointed by the Governor as openings occur and boards are part of the Executive Branch of Government.  You can apply to be a board member by submitting an application or letter of interest.  For further information you can go to Appointee Application

  • Email the Board with a request to be put on this list.

  • The administrative suspension law that went into effect in July 2015 allows the board and department to suspend licenses of persons who:

    • submit fines or fees without sufficient funds in their account,
    • fail to meet continuing education or certification requirements as discovered in an audit,
    • fail to comply with a final order of the board, or
    • fail to respond to correspondence concerning these matters.
Back To Top