Due to the evolving COVID-19 situation in Montana, all Montana Department of Labor & Industry offices are closed to the public to protect the health and safety of our clients and staff. Our services are available through remote delivery. We are available to assist customers through our online public portal at EBIZ.MT.GOV/POL (Professional and Occupational Licenses) and EBIZ.MT.GOV (for Permits). For other services, please contact us via email at DLIBSDWEBHELP@MT.GOV or by phone (406) 841-2300.
Click here for information regarding the COVID-19 Emergency Healthcare Registration
Prescribing and Dispensing Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Welcome to the Montana Board of Dentistry Website!
The Board of Dentistry makes every effort to include on this website all relevant and timely information regarding licensure and regulation of dentists, dental hygienists, and denturists in Montana.
Please choose from the board information topics to the left.
For additional assistance and specific staff contact information please see the "Contact Information" link to the left.
For general questions regarding licensure, please contact customer service at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 444-6880
(1) It is time to renew your license, please do so via the link on the right hand side of this webpage. Renew prior to March 2, 2021 in order to avoid additional fees! Effective October 1, 2019 pursuant to HB 86 from the 2019 Montana legislative session, all dentist licensees shall pay a $30 annual fee to the Montana Prescription Drug Registry (MPDR) upon renewal. A link to the specific law is found here. You can no longer opt out of the fee.
(2) Credentialing Applicants: As of November 15, 2020 PBIS, who has performed the credentialing process for the board for a number of years will no longer undertake this process for applicants. After November 15, you alone will be responsible for satisfying the conditions of board rule ARM 24.138.505. You may still utilize a credentialing service to perform this "leg work" for you; however, you will no longer be required to utilize PBIS. This change is unexpected and please rest assured knowing that the board will be working as diligently as possible to assist you in obtaining your Montana license.
(3) On November 20, 2020 a proposal notice for MAR 24-138-79 will be published by the Montana Secretary of State. The proposal notice can be viewed in the Regulations---> Rule Notices tab on the left sidebar. Proposed changes include extension of the exemption on manikin examinations and accepted examinations. Comments may be submitted in accordance with the notice's information.
(4) The board met and adopted its changes as proposed in MAR 24-138-78 on August 10, 2020. The final adoption notice can be viewed in the Regulations---> Rule Notices tab on the left sidebar. These changes to licensure will be effective on August 29, 2020.
(5) The board has fielded a number of calls regarding Coronavirus/COVID-19 and the use of PPE, specifically masks. The board maintains ARM 24.138.418, which can be found here. The rule directs licensees to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendations. It is up to each licensee to use their own professional judgment in reviewing and complying with board rules and statutes. Please use best practices when deciding how to use PPE under current circumstances as well as in the operation of your businesses. You may also wish to consult the CDC website and its FAQ's on respirator use found here. Additional healthcare provider guidelines can be found here. While the board does not expressly endorse any associational guidelines, the American Dental Association has issued its recommendations as well for practitioners to consider. The recommendations of the ADA can be found here. Similarly the American Dental Hygienist Association has issued a statement as well, which can be found here. Updates to the CDC Dental Settings Guidelines were made on August 28, 2020 and may be found here: CDC Update. Any Questions Related to Re-Opening, should be directed to the Governor's office, further information can be found on the Joint Information Center Website.
Effective immediately: All board meetings will be held by conference call. No outside participants or stakeholders will be allowed access in the building. Please attend by phone.
(6) New Licensees/Applicants: The board recognizes that the current pandemic has created discord in the normal application, examination, and licensure process. We are striving to address these concerns and potential roadblocks as quickly as possible; however, please understand that this will not occur overnight. The board must continue its public safety mission while adapting to daily changes occurring from the pandemic. This will take time. For now, applicants are encouraged to begin their application for licensure and to complete as much of the required information as possible. Applications remain valid for one (1) year under normal circumstances. If you submit your application and an item is missing, our licensing specialist will work with you to complete the application. We do not deny applicants for submitting an incomplete application. By completing the application’s remaining parts, exempting exams, etc., you can get ahead on the licensure process.
The board is continuing to monitor the pandemic updates will be posted on the Business Standards Main Webpage, which is linked above. Please make sure your e-mail is up to date in our licensing records using the change address form on the right side of this web-page or e-mailing the help desk at email@example.com.
(7) The Adoption Notice for MAR 24-138-77 will be published on March 27, 2020 in the Register for the Secretary of State. You are urged to read these changes on the "Regulations-->Rule Notices" tab on the left side of this site. These changes will become effective as of March 28, 2020.
(8) On December 28, 2019, the rule changes in MAR 24-138-76 will be effective. These changes include defintions, CPR requirements, prescriptive, application changes to all three main (Dentist, Denturist, Hygienist) licensure types, continuing education, anesthesia, and examination requirements. You are urged to read these changes on the "Regulations-->Rule Notices" tab on the left side of this site.
An Important Message About the Application Process: The primary communication method for the Division is email. Make sure your email address is current in the database. Also keep your preferred mailing address current. You can update your email and mailing address by clicking on the "Change Address" link under "Quick Links" on this Board of Dentistry website, to the right of this paragraph.
Any application requiring review by the Board of Dentistry must be complete (all documents and required information received by the Board office) no later than 15 working days prior to the Board’s next meeting date. Please click on the "Board Events" link on the left to see upcoming meeting dates or check the meeting dates in the right hand column on this web page under "Board Events" and plan accordingly. Please contact the application unit for questions specific to the application process at firstname.lastname@example.org or (406) 444-6880.
Questions? Please click on the “Contact Information" link on the left side of the web page and select the appropriate unit for contact information.